The Ocean Rescue Division is directed by the Fire Rescue Department in supervising public safety at the Municipal Beach and Atlantic Dunes Park. Ocean Rescue Lifeguards are licensed Emergency Medical Technicians. The entire staff has demonstrated a commitment to excellence and service receiving numerous awards for their professional achievement from the USLA, the Florida Beach Patrol Chiefs Association, and the Emergency Medicine Foundation.
Visit our Beach Conditions page or give us a call at (561) 27-BEACH.
Ocean Rescue Events
The division hosts an Annual Ocean Mile Swim and Ocean Safety Awareness Classes. The Division has hosted the Southeast Region Junior Lifeguard and Professional Lifeguard Championships in 1988, 1991, 1999, and 2002. Delray Beach Ocean Rescue initiated the Annual Ocean Lifesaving Awards Dinner Banquet and has hosted this event several times.
We're an Award Winning Team
- United States Lifesaving Association as an Advanced Open Water Lifesaving Agency since 1995.
- One of 37 across the United States meeting the Advanced Open Water Lifesaving certification requirements.
- Awarded the Florida Beach Patrol Chiefs Association a "Beach Patrol of the Year" in 1995, 1999, 2001 and for 2008.
- Steve Zickl, Operations Supervisor, was awarded "Lifeguard of the Year" throughout the State of Florida in 1999.
- First Ocean Lifesaving Agency to participate, placing 4th. Team Captain Eric Feld also led his team to place 1st in both 1999 and 2000.
- Ocean Rescue Officer Mark Henkle won the National Championship in the Men's Open Row at the 2004 United States Lifesaving Associations National Championship in Daytona Beach Florida.
- The Florida Beach Patrol Chiefs Association awarded the Lifeguard of the Year in 2004 to Jo Wagenhals, Ocean Rescue Officer/EMT.
- Voted in the Kids Crown Awards from South Florida Parenting Magazine and awarded Delray Municipal Beach as the Best Beach in Palm Beach County in July 2004 and 2005