- Yes, for all commercial and multi-family properties but not if you own and occupy the property. State statues 489.103(7) allows the owners of real property to act as their own contractor. This exemption may be only used if you and occupy the home. As an owner/builder though, if you do not complete all of the work yourself, you must supervise the work, and hire licensed trade subcontractors (electrician. plumbing, a/c, and roof) in accordance with Sate law. Owners acting as their own contractor or listed as a subcontractor are required to personally appear and sign the permit application per Florida Statute 489.103(7).
- Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday (excluding holidays)
- Permit Intake: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Plan Review: 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Public Record Request: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday
- All construction over $2,500 requires an NOC (Notice of Commencement). The NOC must be recorded at any Palm Beach County Court House. The most convenient one is located just south of City Hall at 200 W. Atlantic Ave, Delray Beach, FL 33444.
The City of Delray Beach offers 3 convenient was to schedule a next day inspection:
- Self Service Portal
- Voice Automated Self Service at (561) 243-7218. Please have your telephone access code available. This number can be located on the top left side of your permit.
- Call the Building Division directly at (561)243-7200
The actual time it takes to receive approval is determined by the clarity and completeness of your application materials, as well as the number of other applications awaiting review. If your submitted documents are complete, accurate and meet all the code requirements, the possibility of your application requiring resubmittal is reduced.
Example of average review times:
Review times vary according to the scope of the project. Check the status of a permit using our "Web Permit" portal.
- Permits expire and become null and void if work is not started and an inspection is requested within 180 days. After work has commenced, the permit will expire when work is suspended or abandoned within 180 days. Lack of an inspection within this time will serve as validation that the job has been suspended or abandoned.
- The cost of a permit varies depending on the permit type. The Fee Schedule is available on our website.
- Ask for and check references or ask to see their State license. Check the number on the state website (www.myflorida.com) for any state complaints. If they ask to secure the permit, beware. They may not be licensed, which puts the homeowner at risk.
Once the final processing step is completed, the contractor will be notified by a permit technician via email or phone call.
- The list of required inspections is located on the back of the white permit placard. Instructions on scheduling these inspections will be provided when your permit is issued. It is the applicants (owner builder/contractor) responsibility to ensure hat all required inspections are made prior to proceeding with work on the project. For new dwellings, once all fees are paid and all required inspections are completed, the applicant will be issued a CO (Certificate of Occupancy). Upon request, a CC (Certificate of Completion) for minor projects can be obtained.
- A stop work notice will be issued by Code Enforcement. the cost for an After the Fact permit will be tripled. Additionally, there may be fees for a third party engineering analysis if the areas of work are concealed. If a permit is not applied for and issued for the work, a Notice of Violation will be issued and could result in fines being levied.
- Applications vary due to the scope of work. To verify what documentation is needed, please contact a permit technician at (561) 243-7200, option 3.
- All permit fees are based on the contracted amount and the scope of work that will be performed.
- A permit is required for the construction, erection, alteration, modification, repair, equipment, use of occupancy, location, maintenance, removal and demolition of every public and private building, structure or facility or floating residential structure, or any appurtenances connected or attached to such buildings, structures or facilities.
Development Services - Building Division
100 N.W. 1st Ave, Delray Beach, FL 33444
(North of the main City Hall entrance)
- To ensure work is being built to current codes and to verify the contractor is licensed and insured.