The Building Inspection Division is responsible for the plan review, permitting and inspection of all construction activity, sign permits, and the interpretation and development of code requirements relating to building, housing and landscape improvements.
The division staff reviews and inspects all landscaping to new single family units, commercial and multi-family projects and encourages water conservation, the preservation of trees and coastal vegetation. The staff provides technical assistance to the Planning and Zoning Division for review of development applications.
What to know before you get started
- Historic Preservation: Is your property located within a Historic District or individually listed on the Local Register of Historic Places? Is your property eligible for historic designation and able to receive the benefits of historic preservation? Contact the Historic Preservation Division for more information.
- Right-of-Way: Is a right-of-way dedication required? Before designing new construction or other site improvements, check the ultimate right-of-way measurement for your street(s) in Table MBL-1 of the Mobility Element, adopted as part of the Always Delray Comprehensive Plan. If your street isn't listed or for additional assistance, contact the City Engineer at (561) 243-7000, ext. 6220.
Plan and Permit Review Checklist
Please use the following documents in preparing submittals for review:
- Electrical Plan Review
- Mechanical Plan Review
- Permit Checklist Exterior
- Permit Checklist Walk Through
- Plumbing Plan Review
- Solar Check List
- Structural Plan Review
Note: Please do not use any email address to schedule, change or cancel inspections. This can be done under Web Permits through the Building Permits Self-Service tab with your permit number. Or you can call us between 8:00 am - 5:00 pm at (561) 243-7200.
Permit Applications & Forms
Listed below are applications, forms and checklists that you can download from this site. You can fill these out ahead of time and simplify your application process. The checklists, calculation tables and requirements provide further information on what you need to submit with your application.
All permits will require signed contracts with two signatures. Signatures must include owner OR tenant AND contractor of record OR design professional of record.
Four sets of plans will be needed if submitting to the Town of Gulf Stream.
- Banner Permit
- Building Permit Application (4 page form)
- Business Tax Receipt/Contractor Registration Application
- Demolition Permit (form is under review; contact office: 561-243-7200)
- Electrical Permit Application
- Fence Permit Application
- Hardscape Paving Application
- Irrigation and Well Permit Application
- Landscape Application
- Mechanical Permit Application
- Plumbing Permit Application
- Roof Permit Application
- Shutter Permit Application
- Tree Scrub & Vegetation Removal Application
- Sign Permit
- Asbestos Affidavit
- Impact Fee Forms
- Board of Adjustments
- Checklist for Construction Requiring a Separate Permit
- Electrical Release Agreement
- Envelope Leakage Test Report (Blower Door Test)
- Fee Schedule (increase 8/7/12)
- Landscape Calculations Duplex
- Landscape Calculations Multi-Family Commercial Industrial
- Landscape Calculations Single Family
- Landscape Codes
- Notice of Commencement
- Directions to WPB to file NOC
- Owner Builder Affidavit
- Swimming Pool Affidavit
- Recommended Native Plant Materials
- Release of Contractor Affidavit
- Residential Alarm System Certification
- Revision Request Form
- Roof Mitigation
- Special Inspector Form
- Tent Requirements
- Tent Fire Department Check-off List
- Utility Approval Form
- Voice Permits System Code List
Customer Service Survey
The Building Division would greatly appreciate any comments or concerns you would like to share about our department and/or your experience with us!